Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Two days in Zion

Two days in Zion, enjoyed the magnificent exposure on the headwall of Shune’s Buttress, then climbed the Central Pillar of Watchman in 8 pitches plus some scrambling and soloing.  Hadn’t gone free yet at the time the guidebook was written but we managed to free it at mostly 5.10 with a desperate 5.11 fingers section on the main pillar.  The climb was a classic Zion scrap-fest, alternating between physical chimneys, exposed cruising on questionable patina edges, and the occasional gorgeous splitter.  Descending to the Watchman col with a single 70 m rope involved some dubious shrubbery anchors, but we were back in the parking lot sipping beer at dusk.  These days are good but we thirst for more.  Bigger.  Something to take us through the sunset. 


There is a solitary tone to this trip, just me and Scott on the road.  Strangers until now, we share drinks and terse meals, then he sleeps in the bed of his truck with his chubby dog Sage and I roll out my pad on the desert floor.  My thoughts race outward into the vast expanse of stars overhead; what sacrifices have I made to pursue this vagabond life?  I’ve once again left the community I pay rent in to chase my own shadow up walls and towers of desert sandstone.  Who are my people?  Who are Scott’s? Why is the hum of rubber spinning beneath my car as satisfying as a comfortable day at home?  If we push it hard tomorrow, will I get injured?  Will I ever take the fall that stalks the shadowy edges of my dreams?


There is much to ponder.  Also, there isn’t.  The wind in the sagebrush, redolent of the day’s dying heat.  A good meal around the fire; the creamy bliss of a spoonful of avocado.  Rising early tomorrow and sipping coffee in the predawn chill, watching the walls of Zion tint rose with the rising sun.  The expanse beneath my feet, the void my fingers refuse to release to.  Sipping the last of our water, the river below.  A cold beer, the waltz of malt and bubbles on the tongue, finally sitting down on the tailgate.  These are the good things.

Mt Kinesavah at dawn

Scott confirming that his leaf springs are shot at our camp in Taylor Canyon.  We climbed Primrose Dihedrals on Moses tower (tallest in background) the next day.  It is perhaps the finest desert tower route I've been on.

No comments:

Post a Comment